Flat view
Benoz
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,256Gear list
Like?
MX-1 Test shots #2
Mar 25, 2013

Five days ago I posted some quick shots taken with the MX-1 shown here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51112820

As I mentioned in that post even though the weather was terrible the camera performed reasonably well.

This morning I managed to go back to the store, where they have been very kind and helpful, and took half a dozen shots of the same subjects. The sun was up and bright so no excuses as far as lighting.

I think the camera does a very good job as far as sharpness (still think the default is a bit high), color and responsiveness.

Didn't have much time (as usual) so I set the camera in full auto. One think I noticed when I downloaded on my PC, there is a bit of blue tinge in the images which should be able to adjust in the camera settings.

The second image shows a shot taken at 2xfull zoom! A feature I was not yet aware of!

One message for Dean (ozdean): Dean first the macro shot of the Leica lens shows bad distortion because I took the shot on an angle to the subject. Obviously the camera has to point as perpendicularly as possible to the subject.

This second shot shows a much better result.

Also Dean, you asked me whether the camera is pants pocketable . Paying more attention this time I think ideally the MX-1 is more belt case portable than pocketable. This is mainly due to the weight more then the size. However even the size is a bit bulky compared to other smaller compacts like the Sony HX100 etc.

All in all I think that playing with the settings the camera offers one will be able to get excellent images with this camera and would be a very good holiday companion or whenever you don't want to carry a DSLR.

I have a Sony HX9V for this purpose but the MX-1 wins hands down for IQ.

Cheers

Ben

Wide open. This shot was taken five days ago and posted in my previous thread.

One feature I was not aware of is that you can shoot at 2xfull zoom!

2x full zoom (224mm)

Full zoom (112mm)

Wide open

Full zoom (112mm)

In full size you can see the creases in the curtain (top RH window)

Not straight I know!

Macro

Cheers

Ben

Benoz's gear list:Benoz's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +5 more
Pentax MX-1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow