Fuji HS50 vs Canon SX50

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Questions thread
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,184Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji HS50 vs Canon SX50
In reply to jcmi, Mar 25, 2013

jcmi wrote:

Hi. Like many I have been waiting for more detail on the Fuji HS50. It is not currently available in

Australia. In June I am travelling on safari in Africa. I used to own an SLR (pre-digital days). I do not

want to have to change lenses and so have opted for a bridge camera. I wouldn't even call myself an amateur photographer, but I have done a bit of reading and would like to come home with some great memories in my mind and as pics. My understanding is that much of the game viewing occurs early morning and late afternoon so there may be light issues. My question is really around i) the importance of the HS 50 having f2.8, the Canon starts at 3.8 I think, and ii) the manual (Fuji) zoom vs the mechanical zoom (Canon). I've felt the manual zoom of the HS 30 and it seems pretty sticky.

I know I can't have everything in this sort of camera but would appreciate the advice of experienced folk in this forum. Many thanks in anticipation.

If there are light issues, then your shots may be more miss than hit.  These are primarily good light daytime cameras.

At their widest, F/2.8 or f/3.8 makes no difference if the zoom is manual or motorised.  You are limited to use wide angle.. which is fine if you are mainly just wanting to shoot wide landscapes in lower light.

But since you're on safari, I think you're after more than that.

I dont know what your budget is, but if you dont want to be changing lenses, consider going with a dslr with the Nikon 18-300 lens.  You'll need to handle one first to see if you think you'll be ok with holding it with a dslr for an hour or 2.

If you're definitely opting for a bridge camera, you should consider going with the Fuji X-S1.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow