V1 and long lenses - pretty good zoo lens, in addition to wildlife.

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
cyuill2007
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
Re: V1 and long lenses - pretty good zoo lens, in addition to wildlife.
In reply to apmat, Mar 25, 2013

I was in a camera store yesterday looking at Black Rapid (and similar) sling straps. I was a bit surprised that the price of such straps was so high - starting at $70. A sales rep suggested that the 70-300 is a fairly-light lens for its type, and suggested the V1's strap and lugs should be able to support the weight of the FT1 and 70-300. I tried carrying the V1+FT1+70-300 combo with the lens pointed towards the ground using the regular camera strap, and it seemed to work ok. But I wouldn't want to try it with a lens that was much heavier, and I definitely wouldn't want to attach the 70-300 if the V1 itself was attached to the tripod. When shooting, however, I supported the set up by resting the FT1 and rear part of the lens on my left hand.

That said, when using a tripod, I use a set up similar to PHXAZCRAIG, whereby I mount the set up on a tripod via the FT1 before I begin taking photos.

If interested, I made a post earlier today about using the 70-300 handheld on the V1 to photograph birds .

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow