Thoughts on Sigma 8-16mm vs 10-20mm lenses?

Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,170
Like?
Re: Thoughts on Sigma 8-16mm vs 10-20mm lenses?
In reply to CBuckeye, Mar 24, 2013

I bought a couple or really inexpensive Pentax film DSLRs and the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 from 14-20mm works pretty well on the cameras.

I took the 10-20mm to Niagara Falls and used a UV filter on it to keep the front element from getting soaked. I do the same with the lens in snow, rain. or blowing sand. I know a lot of people will post just use the lens hood for protection, but the hoods on wide angle lenses don't really have much depth to them, so I don't see them as any protection at all.

I know I had a CPL on the lens for the following photos and I know I had to rotate the filter to be able to see the details under the water.

The K-5 has the Sensor Composition mode, which allows you to move the sensor around in the camera. With a tripod, it is very easy to capture four photos where you have moved the sensor into the four corners and the stitch them into a wider view. You can also just do two captures is your need is only along one axis. Of coarse you can do this with any lens, including the 8-16mm, but my thought has always been that I could get the extra 2mm this way if I really needed it.

Mostly to get wider than the Sigma 10-20mm, I use a DA 10-17mm f3.5-4.5 Fisheye. The cost of the fisheye and the 10-20mm was about the cost of the DA 12-24mm at the time I bought the Sigma 10-20mm. That was the only choice then, the Sigma or the DA. I held off buying the 10-17mm as I was afraid my tendency for motion sickness would kick using the lens, but when lens pricing started to go up, I jumped on a deal for the 10-17mm. Much to my surprise, I've never had an issue using this lens. There is only US $170 between the 10-20mm f4-5.6 and the 8-16mm, but I still probably would go with 10-20mm and put the $170 towards a $280 Rokinon/Samyang 8mm F3.5 Fisheye to do about the same.

At this point, I don't think I would buy a ultra wide until the Samyang 10mm f2.8 hits the market. I have always hoped Tokina or Pentax would release the 11-16mm f2.8 in k-mount, but it seems that that will never happen. The new DA wide angle on the lens roadmap for 2013 is probably going to be a copy of the new Tokina 12-28mm f4. I'm not sure what that will bring to the table? Lets hope it is a least WR and maybe has a DC motor?  I'm sure WR would get some to upgrade. I probably would think about it, but probably would balk at the price.

Thank you
Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow