Why does this happen and is it avoidable in Lightroom?

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EyesHigh
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Why does this happen and is it avoidable in Lightroom?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi there,

I just have a quick question about the way Lightroom imports and exports photos directly from my memory card.

I have a Nikon D7000 and recently took some long exposure photo's of the night sky which look absolutely fantastic on both the camera screen and also the computer screen after importing them into Lightroom. However, being that all of my photo's are shot in RAW, I have to convert them into JPEG in-order to get them printed (as the printers in the shop do not recognise RAW files) and it is here that the problems appear. Once exported as JPEGS the low-light pictures display large amounts of noise (as they were shot in ISO 1000) which could not be seen in the original RAW files, and they also get noticeably darker - to the point that the balance between the darks (foreground subjects like tree's) and highlights (like the crystal clear stars) which once made the picture so good is completely off.

Is this a common problem and does anybody know if it can be avoided or minimised?

I also imported a regular photo which had been shot at ISO 100 in RAW in broad daylight and after exporting in JPEG the original colour, saturation, and contrast (all of which were perfect) heavily dissipates and, again, almost ruined the picture.

I understand that editing in software is a great tool, but I can't understand what changes happen between the camera and the PC/Lightroom which can affect pictures so much.

Any advise would be much appreciated,

Cheers!

EyesHigh's gear list:EyesHigh's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow