ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brooklyn727
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Differences between lenses?
Mar 24, 2013

Hey Guys,

I am still very new to the high end camera world known to me as the Nikon J1. I have pretty much tinkered and studied every setting on the camera but there is still one thing which eludes me; lenses.

To put it bluntly, I am really not liking the quality of pictures taken with this camera. Whether this has to do with my ineptitude in photography or limitations in the camera itself remains to be seen. That being said, I have 8 days left to get a full refund and was wondering how much "better" my camera would become at shots if I got a different lens?

Right now I am using the 10-30mm kit lens and have checked Nikon's site and am at a loss regarding all the different lenses available.

I know right off the bat I have zero uses for the 10-100 lens since I wont be using my camera in extreme zoom situations. The vast majority of my pictures are of family parties (mostly indoors) and my once or twice a year vacations whether it is skiing in Utah or sun bathing in Aruba. I would like, for all intents and purposes, to get a lens that would cover all of those situations fairly. Again, zooming is not a priority for me. I'm too young and far too under paid to just buy a bunch of lenses and switch them as I need them. It took me months to save up the $170 needed for my Nikon J1, minus the $100 Amex gift card I got for Christmas. That being said, let me post an example of what I am asking...

Nikon's site has two lenses which puzzle me. The 11-27.5 and the kit lens of 10-30. Aside from the mm's and F, these lenses appear to be the same. Why would Nikon go through all the money and trouble in making a lens which is 1mm and 2.5mm off from the kit lens, respectively? What's the big deal about the 11-27.5 lens which they are asking $189 for?

Nikon 1 J1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow