***Weekly Wildlife Thread - Mar 24 - Mar 30***

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pinksummer27
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
Re: ***Weekly Wildlife Thread - Mar 24 - Mar 30***
In reply to lehill, Mar 24, 2013

Those of you in the northern US and Canada think of Canada Geese as a bunch of vermin/pests. I've spent some time in Ohio and yeah, they can be a pain. But here in the southern half of the US they only come by for a few months and leave again before they become much of a bother (sort of like grandkids :-)).

So I was really surprised to come upon a nesting Canada Goose at the marsh. I actually thought she was sick or injured at first since she didn't walk away as I approached:

Birder report says there's 5 eggs. Looks like we'll have some goslings in a few weeks.

Neither she or the dad (a few dozen yards away) seemed threatened by me and I backed off quickly as soon as I realized she was nesting.

The female Red-winged Blackbird isn't black, isn't red but does have wings:

Female Red-winged Blackbird, nothing like the name.

It's spring and flowers are starting to bloom. Here's a Ceanothus (California Lilac) with sunflowers in the background:

California Lilac

And finally, our famous California Poppies. The yellow color is so intense I have to use the same technique I use for egrets to keep the yellow from blowing out:

California Poppy

Bonus:

Great Egret in-flight

-- hide signature --

Lance H

Nice shots but I'm canadian and I actually don't know a single person who thinks Canada geese are vermin or pests. We have tons up here and think they are beautiful!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow