Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,561Gear list
Like?
Funny seeing this old post.....
In reply to Guy Parsons, Mar 24, 2013

Guy Parsons wrote:

Macx wrote:

What Olympus really needs to do is to give us some (3) Custom Modes on the mode dial. That would solve all kinds of headaches.

Clayton Jones wrote:

This extremely poor implementation is the reason I sold my E-PL2, cancelled my EM5 order, and got a GH2. There's a lot of things I like about the Oly, but I wasn't willing to put up with this bracketing stuff (and a few other things) any more. It's too bad, I really wish Oly would fix it. It could be done in a firmware upgrade.

I like the Panasonic LX3 way, it has two Custom positions on the dial with the first directly accessing the C1 setup (take 99% on that), the second directly accessing the last used of the C2-1, C2-2, C2-3 setups. So four sets available from two dial spots and the often usual two most used just left on C1 and the default C2-1 in my case. The lesser used setups on C2-2/3. Is Panny M4/3 something like that?

My E-PL1 Mymodes way is so befuddled by comparison that I have never used it, I just use the SCP and change things or check things when I need to.

So Oly dial Custom modes would be lovely, and if the ability to add names to the Custom modes was added then it would be icing on the cake.

If camera makers wanted a really good way to do custom modes then they should look at Casio, it's brilliant. Can have up to 999 (yes, 999) custom modes and acts as an extension of Scene modes. Great trick is that the custom modes exist in internal memory so can be saved to PC and then put back again to same or another camera. Third party software can fiddle and improve some modes and translate them between different Casio models. Their Scene modes are called "Best Shots" so "BS" appears on the mode dial for the amusement of some.

Regards..... Guy

Funny that this subject was so important to me way back then and still is....

Hey, since then the E-PL5 surfaced and solved all my problems. The MySets can be assigned to any Mode dial spots. Nice. That's exactly why I bought the E-PL5 instead of anything else as an update from E-PL1.

Next step, give us 8 MySets, Oly, and make them so they can be named in the camera.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow