Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,588
Like?
Re: 14 mm for California Coast Trip?
In reply to LKJR, Mar 24, 2013

LKJR wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

I've done that drive many many times in whole and in part. Most of the scenery can be spotted from your car, but make sure not to miss the waterfall at Julia Pfieffer. (Not sure if I spelled it right) You have to walk in a bit to see it, but at high tide it drops right into the ocean. Just make sure you budget enough time for a number of side trips. Salt Point a ways past SF is also one of my favorite spots besides the usual, but it's one of many.

Do you think its doable in 2 days or is that pushing things...I will be solo, so no kids etc to slow me down...

Thanks so much for the recommendations!

Depends on how far your going. The trip of LA to San Francisco (You'll start on the 101 up through Santa Barbara before hitting the 1) takes about 11 hours with regular rests and grabbing a bit to eat, but not including any real stops. You'll probably want to go past San Francisco so you can at least hit up the oyster farms and don't forget to take a quick detour to Sanoma or the Russian River Valley. If I only had one chance to do it, I'd prefer a week to do it. Big Sur, Wine Country, San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Pt Reys, Marin headlands, I could go on and on. If you just take one major detour and 1 nice long day hike, I'd budget at least 3 days if you skip time in San Francisco. 2 would be a bit rushed and it's not that sort of thing.

If you're renting a car, don't even think twice about it. get the convertible.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow