Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
beano78
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Panasonic FZ200 or Canon SX50?
Mar 24, 2013

Yes, I know this question has been asked numerous times before, but I though I'd ask it again anyway in the hope that finally I'll be able to make a decision based on the most up to date experiences with both cameras.

I currently use a Canon 40D, and have also used a Canon Powershot Pro1 in the past. I'm happy with the 40D, but it is extremely heavy and I cannot afford to buy a decent zoom lens for it. I'm off on safari in Kenya and Uganda this summer, and buying a new bridge camera seems to be the most effective solution to both the weight issue and the cost of lens issue.

But now, I have to make a decision.....the SX50 or the FZ200!!!! I'm obviously familiar with Canons, and many reviews point to the IQ of the SX50 being superior to that of the FZ200, as well as having the 1200mm zoom. On the other side is the FZ200, with the constant f2.8. As many safaris take place at dawn and dusk, this f2.8 would be extremely useful. But then, some research seems to imply that the IQ is not as good as that of the SX50.

Has anyone had any experience of either of these cameras whilst on safari? If so, what conclusions did you come to? Does the SX50 focus work quickly and accurately enough (an issue which seems to have cropped up)? Does the image quality of the FZ200 match that of the SX50?

Thanks for your input in advance!!

Canon EOS 40D Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow