Has anyone tried Breathing Color Metallic?

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Questions thread
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008Gear list
Like?
Re: Has anyone tried Breathing Color Metallic?
In reply to Hugowolf, Mar 24, 2013

Interesting link (and the Aardenburg link it contains). Much of how he tests and what it means is a bit beyond me, but I did understand some of it.

My interest right now is in metallic papers (I'll eventually graduate to fine arts papers in the future) and whether or not they will fade over time due to the presence of OBAs (or Dinkla's FBAs). From what I've read it appears that exposure to atmospheric gases is one of the main causes of the breakdown of the OBAs, especially if they are in the paper's surface coating rather than inside the paper itself protected by a resin layer. With this in mind, would coating a paper with a UV blocking print varnish (like Breathing Color's) slow down or even prevent the OBA degradation?

Hugowolf wrote:

I don’t know if you are familiar with Ernst Dinkla’s spectral analysis of paper samples. It is extremely useful for comparing paper ‘brightness’ and ‘warmth’. His analysis is available via a Java app:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Unfortunately he has only done a few metallic papers, the two of which that are widely available in the US are Red River Polar Pearl Metallic and Maob Slickrock Metallic Pearl, and the spectral responses are so close to identical, these two papers have to be one and the same. The base paper shows what are probably extremely high levels of OBAs, and the there is a heightening towards the red end of the spectrum from the metallic layer.

OBA content in papers like metallics (and other RC papers) doesn’t really bother me, sometimes you just need bright white, and these types of papers are hardly museum grade.

Brian A

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow