What prog to correct distortion for a known lens focal length ?

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DBenz
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
What prog to correct distortion for a known lens focal length ?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi, If I am looking at a photo from someone and its exif file reads:-

Camera Model: Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Camera serial number: 0730391215
Owner: unknown
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 3.5
Exposure mode: Auto
Lens: 18 to 55mm
Focal length: 18mm
AF mode: AI Focus AF
Focus point: [Left + Center]

is there a prog that will know the distortion values of that lens, (I would initially have a good stab at assuming its a Canon lens that came with the camera, then work my way through other options !) and apply its inbuilt maths to correct the distortion ?

I have PTgui for joining together pics to form a panorama, and another I forget the name of but cant find at the moment that uses a spot chart that you photo with a camera on various focal lengths and apertures to create a dedicated dataset for your own lenses.

I need a quick accurate or fairly accurate affordable fix to some pics I have.

I would rather enter a focal length and lens value and have the prog do its thing quickly than mess around adjusting handles in photoshop until something looks ok, I am after correct proportions, speed here and mathematical accuracy of sorts rather than get sides parallel and length wrong,  is vital.

Cheers

DBenz

Canon EOS 400D (EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS Kiss Digital X)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow