Nex6 vs Nex7N? Should I wait?

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,115
Like?
Re: Nex6 vs Nex7N? Should I wait?
In reply to Kiril Karaatanasov, Mar 24, 2013

Kiril Karaatanasov wrote:

Most cameras now roll on yearly basis, so waiting is simply stupid. In 6 months there will be another big thing, which you may enjoy more but you would have lost these 6 months in waiting. At the point the new thing comes to stores there will be something even more impressive on the horizon...and so on....this is pointless. Just get a camera that is good enough and enjoy, don't look back. When it breaks or you get tiered of it get a new one.

There's no point in waiting a long time as there will be a steady stream of new cameras, but there are more efficient and less efficient times to buy cameras and sometimes a short wait can let you more efficiently judge what to buy.  In this case if the OP thinks that the rumored 7n might be a better fit camera for them and waiting 2 months is not a problem, then it may make sense to see what the 7n is and evaluate it before making a purchase.  Likewise, it would be a rather silly time right now to buy a 7 since it is likely about the be replaced.  In two months time you can either get a better deal on a 7 or get an upgraded camera in the 7n for similar money.

In my opinion, it's a wise move to know what cameras might be coming and plan your purchases intelligently using that news or information - which sometimes means short delays to collect more information, wait for a newer model to become available, wait for older models to be discounted, etc...

Of course, if the likely price of the 7n is beyond the OP's budget and the 6 meets their needs today and the 7n will probably offer nothing that they uniquely need, then there may be no reason to wait.  Buy a 6 now and start shooting.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow