Red alert... red alert!

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,128Gear list
Like?
Re: Red alert... red alert!
In reply to MitchyK7, Mar 24, 2013

MitchyK7 wrote:

Of course people have posted better with the canons and pannys. They've been out long enough for people to get used to them,

You know as well as I do that the HS50 is a derivative product. The same basic EXR design in the sensor as the HS20 and HS30 with the addition of some PDAF capability. But otherwise very similar.

The question, then, is whether this sensor will finally throw off the yoke of poor HR performance.

So far, I would say no. But experienced people who should know better stubbornly refuse to shoot to its strengths.

I should say i'm not in favour of any camera over an other. I do like the HS series, but also have samsung, pentax and canon cameras, as well as my wife who bought a 'GE' canera, cos it 'looked like a 'cute' mini version of mine and was white'. She doesn't care how many pixels or what zoom. To be honest she got some great shots with it from Evanescences last show of the tour, considering it's a £100 'bridge' cam.

Any modern camera can shoot nice images in strong light if you know what you are doing, or get lucky

Having a dozen cameras of different brands seems common, but I cannot say that I associate it with anything but "collecting" or "reviewing" and not "photography." One eventually has to master one's equipment and trying to master a half dozen or more disparate user interfaces is just not on.

I buy Fuji in compacts, Panny in mirrorless, and Nikon in dSLRs. Anything else is a waste of my time because no camera is so much better than any other as to make it worth the loss of efficiency you will suffer in the field. (And that is a very real issue.)

So all cameras, even the cheap ones have good points.

Absolutely true.

It just seems silly to keep banging on about how bad a camera is before it's been given a chance.

I am a fan of the HS50. I think it will be a winner. (Remembering that the sensor remains very small.)

Unfortunately, the early adopters of the HS50 and the X20 are not really doing these cameras justice. Poorly controlled tests (very), soft images, etc ...

I'm just thinking a HS50 request thread should be started? You guys who want to see more can post a specific request,

Start any thread you like. DPReview welcomes traffic. But I'll wait until Fuji sends me the camera(s) for testing.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow