Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sarahbee
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
D7100, Osprey, redux
Mar 24, 2013

Had to be out of town for a couple of days.  Got back down to the Belle Haven osprey nest yesterday afternoon.  This isn't a totally fair comparison because I took the 300 2.8 this time.  My 300 f4 is squeaking ... not sure if I can depend on the AF to hold up for a whole week of vacation this week.  Bummer.

Anyway.

This time I was in 12-bit, lossless compressed shooting RAW + jpg basic with jpg compression set for size instead of quality.  Also, the 95mb Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb card.  WOW - what a difference that card made.  Should have ordered more than one.  The frame rate really hums along, action shots/buffer not nearly such an issue.

The osprey was perching in a tree when I got there.  So close that the 1.3 crop mode made for not enough room in the frame for the bird.  So these two shots were full DX format.  On a monopod, not a tripod (a bit of a st

D7100, 300 2.8 VR on, ISO 180, 1/400, f5.6, manual

D7100, 300 2.8 VR on, ISO 400, 1/1600, f4, aperture priority

Both of these are from the RAW files edited in Capture NX2.  I changed the picture control from Standard to Neutral, adjusted levels a tiny bit, turned off the in-camera sharpening and then applied my own.  Saved as highest quality jpg, no cropping.

These are not nearly the best or most interesting Osprey shots ever - not by a long shot!  These are merely to test out the camera as well as the lens/monopod situation.  So, other than the lack of artistry in these, let me know what you think.  Still soft?  Over-sharpened?  Let me hear it - thanks!!!

-- hide signature --

Sarah
Cabin John, MD
www.sarahanderson.net

Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow