DAM software replacement for IDImager

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,196
Like?
Re: DAM software replacement for IDImager
In reply to fuego6, Mar 24, 2013

fuego6 wrote:

Zoner does NOT do anything with XMP... I checked this yesterday just for fun by writing out some keywords in Zoner Iie: People -> Family -> Jill - went to photo supreme and checked the IPTC and XMP - IPTC keywords had: Family, Jill, People (not exactly good).. and there is NO XMP data written out to dc:subject nor any other XMP schema. So - at the moment, I would say Zoner is out.

Just for fun again, I added an existing hierarchical keyword in Supreme to the image: Object->Ball->Red and sync'd the metadata. Supreme correctly shows: ball for the ITPC keyword and the dc:subject shows Object|Ball|Red (aOK) - the XMP scheme for idimager also shows the GUID and keywords so all looks good.

I then went back to Zoner and repulled in the keywords from the image... what I got was a single keyword: Red.. not cool.... so, zoner cannot read XMP either.. it is relying soley on the IPTC keywords. I also imported an image that had the hierarchy filed within the ITPC subject field... what I got was a single new keyword: Animals|Dog|Mutt - not good.

So.. until Zoner can handle XMP read/write and assign true hierarchy out of the catalog - its a non useful program for me. Having said that - it still is a very good image viewer/editor and non-hierarchical catalog program.

LR still wins ... the build in GPS is really good... still no clue as to why Idimager is taking the stand they are against adding it to the program. I'm all for using multiple software - but GPS is basic stuff these days and should be a feature included in it in my opinion.

I have now moved on to Lightroom, which I primarily wanted as a raw developer program.
However, Because of the way Lightroom manges it's image library, you cannot send an image from Zoner (or any other DAM) directly into LR.
All Lightroom images must be imported via it's own library, so I have been forced (somewhat reluctantly) to adopt the Lightroom library for my image management.

I'm still becoming accustomed to Lightroom, but I find your statement "Zoner does NOT do anything with XMP" a little puzzling, since all the XMP image data that I have written with Zoner seems to appear and display correctly in Lightzone. Are you sure that you applied the data to the images? I found it's quite easy to exit Zoner without having saved the XMP data, but I'm assuming it appears in Zoner itself.
Of course, now I'm using Lightzone I shall be using that to write all my XMP data in future.

-- hide signature --

>The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow