24 mega pixels vs 18?

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Questions thread
mabasa
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
Re: 24 mega pixels vs 18?
In reply to blogan, Mar 24, 2013

blogan wrote:

I have a friend who is considering a nikon 3200 and seems to be enamored with the 24 mega pixels. I don't have enough experience or knowledge to explain the difference between the two. I own a 7d and they are wondering why I settled on 18 as opposed to 24.

Can anyone give me a quick version as to why 24 might not be better than 18?

Thanks

The question is a bit, well, impossible. On the other hand you are asking about megapixels in general but you are also speaking about two specific cameras in two very different (price) categories. 7D does a lot that D3200 doesn't but if we talk only about megapixels then D3200 wins. If we talk only about sensors, D3200 wins easily. If we talk about cameras, it depends on what purpose you use it. Generally speaking 7D is a better camera. D3200 is a low end model and limited even on purpose (for example no exposure auto bracketing). If 7D had a D3200's sensor, it would be a better camera: more resolution -> more reach, better ISO, much better dynamic range. Though it then would require a little more processing power to handle bigger data flow to maintain same frame rate.

If your friend is attracted to D3200, let him/her. It's excellent value for the price. The picture quality is really good, better than your 7D's. It is limited on features but if your friend doesn't mind that, it's a very good buy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow