RX100 Movie Mode Button

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 Movie Mode Button
In reply to KiwiRick, Mar 24, 2013

KiwiRick wrote:

I recently puchased an RX100 as a much lighter supplement to my Canon 5D2 and lenses, and (apart from the very poor user documentation) so far I'm generally very happy with the camera. However today the camera appeared to lock up on me when I was trying to take a picture, and in the end I switched it off and on again, which cleared the condition, but I missed my shot.

When I got home, I found I had a three-minute movie clip that was taken involuntarily (the cause of the 'lockup'). I had unknowingly pressed the Movie button! From searching the forums, it appears that there is no way to disable or reassign the movie mode button ... is Sony listening to its users ? Also, can users update camera firmware in the way that Canon users can ? Could Sony issue an update for this ?

This problem was much worse with some NEX models, and Sony did listen and issued a firmware fix for the NEX-7 that allowed the movie button to be disabled. Unfortunately, the camera still puts out a warning message which you have to acknowledge, rather than just doing nothing, and you can't assign some other function to the button. Since then, Sony has put out a second firmware update for the NEX-7 (mainly to support the new kit zoom), but there's no indication that it will do this for RX models.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow