A slideshow about the South part of Old Havana (OM-D e-m5 and Lumix 12-35mm)

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
JeanPierre Martel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,843Gear list
Like?
Re: A slideshow about the South part of Old Havana (OM-D e-m5 and Lumix 12-35mm)
In reply to LucaBrasi, Mar 24, 2013

LucaBrasi wrote:

I was surprised at the number of churches, and the fact that they are in seemingly good repair.

The different Communist regimes had different attitudes toward religion. In Tibet, the regime wanted to destroy its religion because it was a thread for the ideological control of that part of the World.

In Tchekoslovakia, although many churches were transformed into houses, the clergy didn't disappear: priests simply became spies for the regime.

In Poland, we know the important role played by the Catholic church to tear down the Communist regime.

In Cuba, I don't know. One thing that strokes me during my visit was the fact that in the Citadel where Che Guevara's soldiers lived, the other side of La Havana Bay, a little chapel was available for his men to pray.

In Cuba, there is two main religions : Catholicism and a strange african "religion". A big taboo in Cuba, something that nobody dares to speak about, is the fact that many, many tombs in the huge Colon Cemetery are profaned by people who need human bones for their rituals. I took many photos of these profaned tombs. The best ones will be included in the slideshow to be made about that part of La Havana.

This is such important photography because it helps to unite rather than divide. Again, I thank you.

Thanks for your appreciation. Actually my goal is not political. In these sldeshows, my policy is to show "everything and anything" and let viewers judge through huge amount of visual data.

In a previous slideshow about China, a couple of pictures showed dead dogs whose meat were sliced to be eaten. My goal was not to judge or provoke anger toward China but simply to show reality as it is.

In a later slideshow about the El Prado District, you'll see a video clip showing someone being arrested by the police. To say the least, I'm not a typical tourist.  

Thanks again.

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow