ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
How is the X-Trans' DR, really?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi all,

So, I currently own an X100 and a NEX-7, and use them both about equally often (though I like the X100 much more in terms of the actual photographic experience). I have, in the past, owned: a Canon 450D, 40D, 7D, 5D, and 5D2, an Olympus E-PL2, and a Samsung NX100. Say what you will about the NEX-7's sensor, and it's certainly got its faults - but its dynamic range is head and shoulders above all of those cameras, and is still among the best of all the APS-C bodies out there. I'd honestly not really known what could be done with loads of DR latitude until I used my NEX-7.

Still, I don't love it, and frequently ponder the idea of swapping it for an X-E1. I like so many things about the X-E1 more, but the loss of 8MP and the hinky RAW support are already big compromises. Losing any of that DR would not be nice on top of that.

So I'm wondering, since DXOMark still hasn't tested an X-Trans camera (I'm not 100% behind their tests, but DR is one area that can be read pretty objectively), if anyone has used either the NEX-7 or any of the similarly-ranked APS-C cameras (the K-5/K-5 II, D7000, etc) and an X body, and if the Fuji is either as good or better on that front. I've looked around plenty online, and it definitely looks as though the X-Trans holds its own, but an actual empirical opinion would be great!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow