ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
XeroJay
Contributing MemberPosts: 943Gear list
Like?
Just bought the Sigma 35 f1.4
Mar 23, 2013

I'm just going to say it:

Anyone looking for a 35mm lens should get this one.

To be honest, I didn't really need this lens. I already have quite a bit of overlap in the 35mm zone. I just couldn't ignore all of the praise and buzz around the new Sigma. To be even more honest, I have never really liked Sigma lenses either. Any experiences that I've had with Sigma in past have left me with the impression that Sigma is not a premium lens maker, and that they have never had reliable AF thresholds.

All of this changes for as of today. This is not the same Sigma that I have known. The new Sigma 35mm is not only my new sharpest lens (beating the 100L Macro and the 24-70 II by a hair), but it does this at f1.4.

It gets better though. The Sigma controls every aspect of measurable optical quality to absolute new standards. The signature "prime lens aberrations" or fringing that most primes exhibit with high-key, high-contrast scenes is so well controlled, I would say it bests anything out there to date.

The AF did need a bit of MA on both the 1DX and 5DIII, but once I calibrated (using FoCal) the AF is as good as most Canon lenses. In fact, the FoCal image quality measurement ceiling is 2000 (whatever units), and the Sigma spent most of the test north of 1950!

Bottom line: The Sigma 35mm f1.4 is the best prime lens that I've ever used...

...And it's very inexpensive:)

-- hide signature --

If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow