Started Mar 21, 2013 | Questions thread
francesco from rome
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: Prints on glossy paper turn out slightly dark
In reply to pherold, Mar 23, 2013

pherold wrote:

Hi Francesco,

Glossy papers will by their very nature give you darker blacks, and this is a good thing & expected. Might this be what you're seeing when you say your pics are dark?

It's also common for those who are new to this screen-to-print matching effort for their displays to be too light. A good thing to test is to compare a blank white screen on your monitor to a blank piece of your printer paper. If the display is "brighter", then there's no way your prints are going to match your display. There's more information on this here:

http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/My_Printer_Is_Too_Dark

Hi Patrick,

thanks for the advice. Actually I am happy with the range of the glossy paper: and the rich blacks are what motivates my tests. But I feel that the shadows are a bit too dark, and could be closer to my intent if they were a bit lighter. To be clear: with matte prints I see the difference with the monitor, obviously the rendition of colours (and of blacks) is different (but, as I said, I am very very happy with the result, which is my goal after all ).

I also know the degree of reliability of soft proofing on the monitor: it gives an "idea" of how different from the monitor the print will be, even if it is closer. I use it to check for areas out of (printer's) gamut.

I have to match the brightness of the monitor to the paper. It was set at 70 (don't know which units), now it's at 30. I have created a new profile for this new monitor setting and I have tried a print (on the innova fiba print glossy paper). Right out of the printer the result seems rather close to what I see on the monitor (and closer to the soft proof). I will wait tomorrow to give a final judgement.

I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks everybody for your advices.

Francesco

francesco from rome's gear list:francesco from rome's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow