Not The Answer, but Step I The Right Direction?

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HDProman
Contributing MemberPosts: 777
Like?
Not The Answer, but Step I The Right Direction?
Mar 23, 2013

I am very aware the best solution to speeding up an older computer is a complete upgrade or new computer.

Current budget considerations do not include the funds for a complete system upgrade.

A quick overview of my current system.

Graphics: NEC PA241W monitor with included SpectraView II calibration system, and NVIDA GeForce GTS 250 graphics card. No on board graphics so the graphics card is not optional.

Processor and Ram: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz and 8GB DDR2 PC2-6400 (400 MHz). I could upgrade to 16GB, but only at a very high cost, $300 and per a previous post I probably would not see much of an improvement.

Boot drive is WD sata2 500 GB with 93GB of used space.

Windows Experience Index average rating 5.9

Break down of scores: Processor 7.3, Memory 7.3, Graphics 7.0, Gaming Graphics 7.0, and Primary hard disk 5.9.

Can I do something about the 5.9? Like replace the C drive with a OCZ 256GB Vertex4 SSD?

I realize my MB is SATA2 and this will limit the SSD speeds, so I considered getting a Apricom Velocity Solo x2 SSD upgrade kit. Unfortunately this kit needs a PCIe 2 slot and the only one my motherboard offers is being used by the video card. I do have PCI slots available but it is my understanding those will not work.

If I install a SSD on SATA2 this should work but with a hit on the speed. I can learn about cloning my C drive and installing the SSD and because the model is SATA3 I could use this drive when I am able to upgrade the rest of my components.

My main program I am hoping to speedup is Adobe Lightroom4. This drive would include the program, catalog, previews and maybe the last 6 months of raw photos. According to my calculation this should fit within the 256GBs of this SSD.

Am I on the right path? How should this drive affect my Lightroom experience?

Should I proceed or wait until I can upgrade everything.

-- hide signature --

Newbie, having fun.

Leica X2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow