Busting the Lens dictates Focus Speed Myth

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,702Gear list
Like?
Re: Busting the Lens dictates Focus Speed Myth
In reply to Sovern, Mar 23, 2013

Sovern wrote:

Why is that I hear so much on this forum and other forums that more expensive lenses especially primes AF faster than cheaper lenses and the kit lens a long with other cheap but more than capable lenses are such a bad lens for AF speed?

I have one of Canon's fastest focusing lenses (Canon 85 1.8 USM) and the kit lens and they both AF at the speed speed no manner the lighting conditions.

I have also had the Tamon 17-50 2.8 and 50 1.8 in the past and have never felt a difference in AF speed between any of these lenses they all lock on focus very fast.

Is this "This lens has faster AF" a myth sort of like how people claim that their $2,000 prime is "sharper" than a $350 primes or zoom (myth in my opinion)?

From what I have read the AF focusing system built on the camera determines the AF speed and not the lens itself (besides cycling between MFD and infinity being a minor difference obviously).

Whats your take on it?

My 50mm 1.8 mkII is slow and my 15-85 is much faster, so in this comparison the lens is decisive.

Personally I'm not convinced.

It's a combination of body and lens.

I believe from my own personal experience that the body determines AF speed as my 40D AF's faster than my xsi but all of my lenses AF just as fast/precisely no manner the lighting conditions from my own experience using them myself.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
nopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow