Busting the Lens dictates Focus Speed Myth

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,565Gear list
Like?
Re: Busting the Lens dictates Focus Speed Myth
In reply to Sovern, Mar 23, 2013

Sovern wrote:

Why is that I hear so much on this forum and other forums that more expensive lenses especially primes AF faster than cheaper lenses and the kit lens a long with other cheap but more than capable lenses are such a bad lens for AF speed?

I have one of Canon's fastest focusing lenses (Canon 85 1.8 USM) and the kit lens and they both AF at the speed speed no manner the lighting conditions.

I have also had the Tamon 17-50 2.8 and 50 1.8 in the past and have never felt a difference in AF speed between any of these lenses they all lock on focus very fast.

Is this "This lens has faster AF" a myth sort of like how people claim that their $2,000 prime is "sharper" than a $350 primes or zoom (myth in my opinion)?

From what I have read the AF focusing system built on the camera determines the AF speed and not the lens itself (besides cycling between MFD and infinity being a minor difference obviously).

Whats your take on it?

Personally I'm not convinced.

I believe from my own personal experience that the body determines AF speed as my 40D AF's faster than my xsi but all of my lenses AF just as fast/precisely no manner the lighting conditions from my own experience using them myself.

Based on everything I've read, it's pretty clear that the camera body is a factor in focusing speed. But if your supposition is that all lenses focus at the same speed on a given body, you're wrong.

Differences in focusing speed among various lenses is well documented. It's up to you whether you want to believe it. Although you may not notice the differences, that doesn't mean that they don't exist. Personally, I find the difference in focusing speed between my 24-70 f/2.8L II and 100-400L quite apparent. Similarly, the change in focusing speed when I put a 1.4x TC on my 70-200 f/4L IS is very noticeable.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
nopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow