Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,869
Like?
Re: Prints on glossy paper turn out slightly dark
In reply to francesco from rome, Mar 23, 2013

in-line responses...........

francesco from rome wrote:

Howard Moftich wrote:

one thing you may want to do is when you calibrate your monitor, figure out how to set the contrast ratio (either directly or by calculating your brightness/350) (ie. if you're setting your monitor to 100cd/m2, then 100/350 = 0.35 black point). Monitors are capable of much greater contrast and deeper blacks than papers.

Hi Howard,

thanks for the reply. I understand very well the difference between the capability of a monitor and the output that one can attain on paper: but I don't understand the first part of your answer. I have just re-calibrated the monitor (every x days I am reminded to do it: maybe I should do it more often but work and family get almost all my time and so I can only devote to photography some hours during the weekend...).

I use the Huey pro. Calibration goes like this: at first it measures ambient light (which right now is a terribly yellow-ish Ikea lamp) then it asks if I am able to distinguish black and white parts of a circle. Then it measures the patches of colour, and the only possible setting that I have is choosing between D50, D65 and D70 (I think it's the monitor temperature) and the gamma factor (1.8, 2.2...).

get better lighting for editing.

if the HueyPro software is that limited (and if thats all you can adjust, it is), then pick D65 and gamma 2.2

I pick D65 and 2.2 and save the profile.

OK

So: is the 100 cd/m^2 related to the D65 or to the brightness setting of the monitor? How can I set the contrast ratio? And the final lazy question: why is this not taken care for my by the combination of profiles and drivers of the printers? I am joking obviously. I would really be glad if you could help me to understand the content of your reply.

100 cd/m2 is a measure of the brightness of the monitor, it's not related to the D65 color temperature (white-ness ala leaning toward blue-ish white or yellow-ish).  If the Huey software doesn't allow you to set the black point or contrast ratio, you can't (unless the monitor has some black adjustment).  Hopefully, the Huey software will at least *tell you*, after the calibration, what the luminance and black point are.  From that you can determine your contrast ratio.

Francesco

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow