Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
uniball
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
Re: iPad mini as RAW backup
In reply to graybalanced, Mar 23, 2013

graybalanced wrote:

uniball wrote:

About a year ago I looked into just about all of the wifi enabled approaches. My recollection is most, if not all, had issues with raw files going from the iPad to the device. Otherwise they made sense. Something to focus on.

Also keep in mind that the data transfer rate over wireless will be much slower than a cabled solution, which would make a difference if you shoot large raw files. Although I don't have a HyperDrive, it would seem like the fastest solution since there is a card reader built in and it is a photo-optimized device.

The reason speed is important is because it minimizes the amount of time you spend babysitting transfers and backups of hundreds of GB when you're on a trip, and also because the faster an image transfer can complete, the more images you can transfer on a device charge.

You're preaching to the preacher. I avoid wifi transfers like the plague while traveling. I like to be as self sufficient as possible and the minute you introduce wifi, you're at the mercy of the local router, the local service, demands by other users placed on the local network and then 100's of switches before you get to say DropBox. Not to mention slower speeds. But then, copper is old, wifi is modern

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow