Started Mar 23, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dennis dogman
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
G15 beat S110 and Sony's RX100 for me
Mar 23, 2013

Being a camera tragic I update my advanced compacts every 2 years, so I sold my G12 a few months ago and researched buying the best current advanced compact. I didn't want an APS interchangable lens compact, they are not pocketable in any way to me.

I studied reputable camera review sites and user reviews and found little difference in the top 5 but the Sony RX100 appeared to come out on top.

So I bought me an RX100 but sold it a week later ! WHY ? Most shots were under-exposed and I got sick of overriding the standard exposure. Also the menue system is complex and not user friendly.

Being manily a Canon buyer over the years and having been burnt by an Olympus shocker in the past, thought I'd play it safe and buy a Canon S110 or a G15.

SO A CANON G15 OR AN S110 - WHICH IS THE BETTER CAMERA

I laboured over this one ! The S110 was truly pocketable, came with wi-fi and the experts said there was no differences in image quality, so I bought an S110. On shooting with it I quickly found it hard to hold in the left hand without blocking the pop-up flash. In fact there was nothing to hold onto except by the tips of fingers. While sunny outdoor images were excellent, low light shots were very ordinary. Capture times were also very slow.

I took the S110 back to the seller and bought a G15 and have never been happier. WHY ?

The G15's images are great in all light and its fast to save a shot. Its wonderful to hold onto (I'm a guy with normal to biggish hands). The controls are easy to access and adjust. The only thing to watch out for is over-exposing in bright sunlight and loss of dynamic range - so I simply turn it down 1/2 to a full notch to compensate and shots turn out A1. Also turn off noise reduction - it doesn't need it - this is a sharp lens ! No regrets I finished up with this camera.

I hope this helps others facing the same challenges and issues as I did.

dennis dogman's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot S110 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow