Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,472
Like?
Re: Why use Pentax?
In reply to ultimitsu, Mar 23, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

Which just goes to show that relying on numbers alone is a foolish way to assess lens performance.

It is fine that you subscribe to Hirakawa's philosophy but it is a tad arrogant to call everyone else foolish.

This is another example of how you fail to understand what is said to you.  I didn't call everyone else foolish; I said it is foolish to assess lens performance on numbers alone.  Pretty well anything in the world has some attributes that can be measured and some that can't: if you look at only the measurements you are depriving yourself of valuable information.

As camera lenses are normally used for taking pictures of three-dimensional objects, judging them solely on images of two-dimensional charts doesn't tell the whole story.  I'm not saying that such tests are useless, but they need to be combined with other things to get a full picture.

If you believe that partial information can give a complete picture you are folling yourself; that's foolish.  But making use of all the information it isn't foolish, and many people do make use of it: they aren't whom I call foolish.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BobNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow