Red River Paper Compared to Epson Papers

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mark McCormick
Contributing MemberPosts: 756
Like?
Re: Red River Paper Compared to Epson Papers
In reply to rpenmanparker, Mar 23, 2013

rpenmanparker wrote:

To Mark: Please forgive me if I am telling you something you already know. If the dark storage after light exposure problem accelerates with increasing temperature, there is a nifty technique you can use to shorten the testing period called Time-Temperature Superposition. PM me if this is of interest to you.

Yes, I'm aware of  "time-temberature Superposition" modeling, but it relates to the viscosity and physical properties of polymers (i.e. glass transitions, etc). The phenomenon I'm describing would probably be much better modeled using the Arrhenius equation.

One way or another, elevated temperatures may indeed be useful to accelerate the dark staining component, however the more challenging part of the research will be to figure out the light intensity reciprocity behavior., ie., how much light intensity and accumulated exposure dose is needed to initiate the post-exposure discoloration in the following dark storage phase and how much additional light intensity and further exposure is needed to reverse the effect when the light cycle resumes. Also, is there a balancing point between the light cycle bleaching and dark cycle discoloration such that the discoloration might never be observed under some environmental conditions?  Lastly, how long does the light bleaching reversibility property continue before it is no longer effective?

As both an imaging and material scientist by training I really love complex issues like this one, but I'm pretty sure no matter how I develop the experimental design, this will take a serious devotion of man hours to figure out and then relate to more benign real world conditions which print samples are more likely to encounter on a regular basis. That said, my light fade units produce light intensity levels which are still encountered in some very real-world display conditions, albeit much higher than most. In that sense, the results I've observed so far can indeed be induced in at least some genuinely encountered real world display situations, and this is why I can't dismiss the phenomenon purely as an artifact of laboratory testing.

best,

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow