*** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,197Gear list
Like?
Re: please don't twist my photos
In reply to qianp2k, Mar 23, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

I have no idea why you did that. But why you even tried to zoom 3x or 4x?

He did that so that they would be roughly the same size on screen would be my guess.  It's the analog to your resampling.  The problem is that both his and your approach changes the comparison.  The algorithm used to resize the image visually can make a large difference in the end result.

Here's my take on the images.  I have only compared the dollar bill images, pulled the CR2 files into LR 4.3.

@100% - difficult to see any meaningful difference between the 2 images here.  You can see the pattern behind the president is more detailed on the 60D, generally all of the high frequency patterns are better represented on the 60D, but this comparison lacks on screen equivalence.

I pulled the files into photoshop and resized each to match the others.  I've discussed this with qianp2k before and his attitude was that resizing the images was somehow cheating, interesting to see a change of attitude.  I used 2 methods to try and be fair.

1.  bicubic sharper (best for reduction) - reduce 60D to match 5D resolution.  The result is very close but has better detail and transitions in the signature from the 60D.  This method is probably the closest between the 2 files, but the 60D still wins, most certainly not enough difference between the two to matter.

2.  bicubic smoother (best for enlargement) - enlarge 5D file to match 60D resolution.  Here I don't think it's as close, it's pretty obvious that the 60D is showing more detail to me.

Anyway, my conclusion would be that the 60D resolved more detail in this test case, but I am rather surprised how close the 2 are.  To qianp2k's credit the 5D does much better than one would expect for the sensor resolution differences.  Different tests with different lenses and different lighting situations might reveal different results too, of course.  Even different RAW converters could make a difference, it's all a part of why it's so tough to compare different formats when the results are so close.  I wonder too how the t4i or 7d would compare, it would be similar, but I suspect the AA filter differences could be enough to sway it one way or the other.

btw, I compared these files...

5d - 7282

60d - 7344

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WhatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow