ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 889Gear list
Like?
Quick Question on Resolution for Printing
Mar 22, 2013

Hello:

I shoot sports for a local college (not on a contract or anything, just for fun) and I often get requests from the players for copies of some of the photos I take.  Most of the players just want the photos for their Facebook pages or to email to friends and family.  In that case, it's easy to just give them the image from my Zenfolio page which is usually around 1200 X 900.

Some of the players have now asked for pictures they can print.  That being said, what's a good resolution to resize them?  I know you usually multiply each end by 300 (so an 8X10 print needs to be 3000 on the long side and 2400 on the short side).

However, if the players aren't sure what size prints they're going to get, what's a good resolution to make the image? If I give them a 3000 X 2400 sized image and they decide to make a 4X6 or 5X7 (instead of an 8X10) would that cause a problem?  Is there a good "universal size" that I could make the images so that it would cover most print ranges?  I don't think they'd get huge posters made but I'm not completely sure either.

Thanks for any advice and sorry I don't know more about printing.  I mainly just post stuff on the web and have only printed a few 8X10's for myself.  Thanks again!

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow