PLease Help - Need Canvas 9.0.4 alternative

Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,807Gear list
Like?
The answer to your uncle's prayers -- I hope
In reply to Nephew, Mar 22, 2013

Hello Nephew

I take it your uncle has incautiously bought a new Mac with the latest OS. Bad luck! As a very long time (and happily continuing) user of Canvas, I know how he feels!

All versions of Canvas require Rosetta which that great and caring (for his own fortune and the other shareholders) leader, Steve Jobs, made an arbitrary decision to cut out after X.6.8. According to reports, the engineers had actually begun work on it but …

Anyway -- long and short is -- your uncle needs to run OS X.6.8 on a Virtual Machine. Jobs further made life hard for me and your uncle by not allowing the ordinary OS X.6.8 to run on the VM. You must buy the X.6.x Server. It was quite expensive!

The good news is that the price of the X.6.x server has come down to about $20 or something, I am told, and it is very, very simple to set up current VM with the current Masc OS as the host machine.

I recommend you and your uncle have a look at the private forum for battle scarred Canvas users at http://www.wizaerd.com/forum/index.php?pAction=Show&Start=0

he will be as welcome as the flowers in spring and there has been a recent thread where all this was discussed in some detail.

Pity he didn’t go to Canvas X.0.2 -- sure, like every other Canvas, it can do great technical stuff but like every other Canvas, you can just wing it too.

I'm still sitting on OS X.6.8 and work in Canvas X every day producing advertisements, brochures, websites, and books. Whoa!!! What a program!

Like your uncle, the only way I will migrate to another program -- no a whole bunch of other programs because Canvas covers so much -- is if I am dragged there kicking and screaming. Canvas X  hasn’t been supported now for 7 years -- but there is still no program that comes near to it for sheer utility and productivity.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow