D800 AF Issue is NOT resolved. Buyer beware!!!!! Locked

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Arretose
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057
D800 AF Issue is NOT resolved. Buyer beware!!!!!
Mar 22, 2013

I just spent 4 hours in our local camera store testing out five.....5....different brand new D800's, serial number 3064994 being the lowest as I recall. I brought my own tripod, batteries, cards, remote, variety of approved AF printed targets, cards ect. The store let me use their back room to set up my gear and test my lenses (14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 85/1.8, 35/1.4,16-35). I followed Thom Hogans article for testing AF. By the end of this experience we had about 15 bystanders taking note.

I was upfront with them, showing them the cash and letting them know I was ready to purchase if i could get a camera with no AF issue. They were very happy to make sure I was happy with my purchase. After testing each lens (listed above) on the first D800, the store manager let me use their computer with the huge 30 inch monitor to look at the results. I used crib cards to note which lens , CD/PD AF, and focal points I used for each series of images. There was no mistaking the left and right AF issue on the first camera. The store mamager wrapped up the d800 and said it was going back to Nikon as defective. The second camera was worse. At this point the store manager was getting frustrated, and I told him I ha made up my mind not to get a D800. But he insisted on finding a D800 that did not have the problem. 5 cameras later, he decided enough was enough. He had heard of the problem from last year, but that nobody had been coming in with the problem, and he had heard rumors that it had been fixed. I don't know if people have been testing carefully or just eyeballing it, but I was not alone in my interpretation of the results. It was bad, and everyone there knew it.

At this point, I am convinced that this D800 AF issue is a combination of camera defect and the high resolving power of the 36 MP sensor. It is NOT resolved, and this experience was damaging for Nikon's reputation. All of the bystanders had a negative response to the results.

My partner in crime is trying to convince me to sell out and go Canon, but I do not consider the 5dm3 much up an upgrade to the D700, considering my investment in lenses. So after going thru this a year ago and deciding to wait until now, I am content once and for all to turn my back to the D800. It's a shame that Nikon has turned into what they have become.

If you are sitting on the fence on getting a d800/e I would suggest the following:

1. Try to find a camera store that will let you test before buying.

2. The problem is not fixed. 0ne year later and I am still seeing the problem. Unacceptable, and Nikon doesn't care, I guess.

3. Don't settle! Don't send back to Nikon for a fix. Brand new means it works as advertised. This has not been my experience with the total of 10 D800's I have tested in the last year.

4. DO NOT get camera envy thinking that the D800 is so awesome that you HAVE to have it! Older generation cameras (D700, d3x) are great cameras. The hassle with Nikon's QC is not worth it.

Hope this helps you save some $$$$

Chris

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D3X Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow