X10 and X20 - I think I have found the best wide angle converter WC-E68 ?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
William Ing
Regular MemberPosts: 482
Like?
Re: X10 and X20 - I think I have found the best wide angle converter WC-E68 ?
In reply to xeriwthe, Mar 22, 2013

Just for the reocrd, I offer one alternative to the Nikon WC E-68 discussed above. The OP was prompted to start this thread because he initially believed he had found the "best wide angle converter" available for use with the X10 and X20. However, further testing indicated there is a bit of vignetting on one side of the frame when shooting at the X10's widest setting.

For the past five years, I have shot extensively with the .8x Konica/Minolta ACW 100 wide converter. It has performed splendidly on three separate compact cameras (LX5, LX7 and X10), with no vignetting, no obvious corner smearing and only minimal overall distorsion. Performance is fine on all three cameras even at full aperture and at all aspect ratios. Effective focal length on the X10 (or X20) will be 22mm. If you deploy the X10's onboard flash with the ACW mounted, your photo will be ruined by a distinct lens shadow in the lower right hand corner of the frame.

Please note that this converter was discontinued some years ago but IS STILL AVAILABLE for purchase, boxed and brand new, from several online dealers. A google search will yield names of at least one or two dealers. The unit was selling new for about $117 last time I checked. I've also seen it sold used from time to time at KEH, for one.

Keep in mind, the ACW 100 is not an insubstantial accessory. It is slightly wider in diameter and weighs a bit more than the WC E-68. For a photo of the ACW 100 mounted via an accessory tube on an LX5, see this post on another thread:  http://forums.dprevi...s/post/41416296

Be aware that the ACW screws into the X10 lens via a 40-49mm stepup ring, available directly from heavystar.com. That specific stepup ring screws into the lens filter thread perfectly, without need for use of electrician's tape or any other space filler. Because no accessory tube is used between camera body and wide converter (as in the case of the LX5 and LX7), one needs to support the entire rig by grasping the lens assembly in the left hand. Do not allow the X10 to swing from a shoulder strap.

You may be able to find the slightly more compact and somewhat less weighty Nikon WC E-68 for a better price, but I'm confidant it won't perform as well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow