Wish Nikon gives us 2x crop on a D800/D800E/D600/D4 via a firmware upgrade

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
shaunly
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?
Re: Wish Nikon gives us 2x crop on a D800/D800E/D600/D4 via a firmware upgrade
In reply to jfriend00, Mar 22, 2013

shaunly wrote:

Again, you are misinterpreting Nikon cropping feature.

By your logic, when the camera uses this feat, it is disabling the outter portion if the sensor thus turning it into a DX/1.2X size sensor. This is absolutely INCORRECT.

The camera is still utilizing the ENTIRE 35mm sensor. All it's doing is cropping the OUTPUT files. Because it's still using the entire sensor, you are not loosing any DR or noise performance.

Please read into this before you give false information. If you actually own the camera, a simple test will reveal this.

Sorry, you are not correct.  A crop is a crop.  It is NOT using the outer portion of the sensor when you set it for a crop mode.  It's not a downsize or a binning operation.  It's a crop and it is not using the outer portion of the sensor at all.  So a 2.0x crop mode, reduces the size of the sensor area used to about the same as a micro four thirds sensor.

I don't know where you're getting your information.  It works the same as the crop mode on the D2X or the crop mode on the D7100.  There's nothing unique to the crop mode on the D800 except that it starts with such high number of pixels that it still has a decent number of pixels left when doing a 1.5x crop (~15MP).

-- hide signature --

I can guarantee you that the DR and noise will look the same whether I shoot at 1.5X or full frame. Do you really need me to post samples to show you?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow