Pana is rumored to plan CFF (compact full frame) for post M43

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
al_in_philly
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?
As Scotty on Star Trek says: "You can't defy the laws of physics, Captain."
In reply to ProPhotoDude, Mar 22, 2013

ProPhotoDude wrote:

The plan is to offer FF in as small and light bodies as possible and to develop brand new FF lenses to also be as light and compact as possible.

When Panasonic (or anyone) can figure out how to make a fast, high quality, lens which can cover a focal plane with the area of a FF sensor, and not weigh close to what current FF lenses do, let me know. Until then compact full frame cameras will be either way heavier (and front-heavy) than m4/3, or stuck with lenses so much slower (minimal lens diameter and weight from smaller apertures) or optically inferior (smaller/lighter via fewer lens elements) than m4/3 that any IQ advantages gained through utilizing a larger FF sensor will be essentially negated.

Another factor is how good of imaging quality is really needed to for the vast majority of potential consumers. I'm right now in the process of printing some 16x20 photos taken with my OM-D with the P/L 25mm, for an upcoming gallery show in April. They are amazingly sharp even when looking from only a few inches away. Even for professionals, the latest m4/3 (or APS-C) cameras really are quite good enough for most purposes--especially if they can improve their motion focussing capabilities (which is not only possible, but virtually just a matter of time). And if the imaging quality of these mighty-mites isn't quite good enough, then a jump up into standard FF or Hasslblad territory might make a lot more sense for a pro than an FF on a diet with built-in lens related limitations.

Aside from that, as far as rumors go, this was quite a good one.

al_in_philly's gear list:al_in_philly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow