Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
neighkon
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
Another Nikon bashing thread! Or not?
Mar 22, 2013

So I was happy to get my 70-200 2.8 VRII earlier this week. But upon opening the shipping box I noticed that one of the bottom flaps of the VRII was crumpled and not folded in flat. So i just opened the box from the bottom. I had to grab my rocket blower since I noticed the front and rear elements were dirty (dust or whatever) blew most of it away and there's one big speck on the rear element that did not blow off. So i grabbed my flashlight and looked inside, this is when i got really disappointed. You would think that they would take extra care in assembling a $2k plus lens right? It was dusty inside too! Everything else looked (no signs of use) good but I noticed the warranty card was tucked inside the manual cover. Its the first time I've seen this, in my experience normally the warranty card is not inside the manual. I do not have a ton of lenses so im not sure if this is the norm or not. Now it got me thinking that this was a return or something. So I just got off the phone with Nikon and they checked that this lens was never sent in and was originally shipped to the vendor on 3/8 and shipped to me ground on 3/12 so I doubt this was a returned item but the vendor could have opened it for whatever reason (QC or inspection) there but that still does not explain the dirt inside the lens.

Of course my other experience was with the D600, the first I exchanged hoping I would get another without the dust/lubricant problem but of course the replacement had the same problem PLUS it has a black speck slightly to the upper right of the viewfinder. it bothered me at first since again its not a cheap camera but I fugured I'll be sending this unit it for cleaning and hopefully they'll deal with that then.

I know a little bit of dust won't affect your IQ (image Q not intellect :-)) but did you notice a lot of dust in your high $$ lenses from Nik or 3rd party?

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow