Peru and Machu Picchu Pics with X100

Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
jhorse
Senior MemberPosts: 2,237Gear list
Like?
Re: Peru and Machu Picchu Pics with X100
In reply to sadata, Mar 22, 2013

sadata wrote:

Great set from what must have been a wonderful experience. I went there in 2007 (see gallery) and it is just one of those magical places to visit. I was very lucky as I had one cloudless, blue sky day and one intermittently cloudy day, when I climbed Huayna Picchu. Thanks for sharing; brought back good memories.

Thanks Jules. I looked at your pics from 2007 and you sure got some great wide-angle and high-vantage-point shots. Very nice work. I would have loved to get some shots like that, but the kicker was that I only had a little over an hour to shoot the entire site. We left Cusco at 5 a.m. and had planned to arrive early and spend the entire day at Machu Picchu but, due to a number of unfortunate incidents (no less than three mudslides - one blocking a main road and two blocking the train tracks) and subsequent delays, we arrived very late (around 4 p.m.) and were told we had to be back at the bus by 5 p.m.! I checked the exact times on the photos and, between 3:58 p.m. and 5:08 p.m., 70 minutes total, I shot 355 images at Machu Picchu at a average rate of one every 12 seconds. A lot of that time, however, was spent running the full breadth of the site and climbing a lot of irregularly-shaped and randomly-slanted steps (in a thin atmosphere, no less). A very stressful and, at the same time, exhilarating hour to say the least.
There was a lot of last-minute good fortune that day. It had rained the entire day and, given the constant and lengthy delays, we assumed the visit would likely be a write-off. However, within about an hour of us arriving, the weather suddenly cleared up. There were several points where we could have canceled and turned back, but we decided to push on and everything came together in the end. And the X100 didn't let me down.

Hi,

That is a great story. I would have done the same and pushed on, especially as living in Europe the opportunities to visit Peru are few and far between. To have taken such outstanding images all within the space of 70 minutes was a fantastic effort. I bet you needed a beer afterwards! Certainly deserved one. Thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow