Started Mar 22, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrea Crema
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Help on Fill in Flash
Mar 22, 2013

I've been looking at ways at getting a bit more creative with my fill in flash.

Normally I've not given it much thought and on bright days I would usually use pop-up flash to fill in the shadows. I've found that with these shots there can sometimes be a look of flash in my images.

So I wanted to look at balancing to provide  1) a more natural look 2) On other shots a more dramatic look with depth.

1) I've read a few articles on the subject where it talks about setting the camera to manual based on a reading for the ambient light and then switching on the flash for fill in with it at say half power (not sure of what the manual flash setting should be). Question,.... How does this differ from using normal TTL Balance where the camera decides. (I use Nikon kit with a TTL/BL setting)

2) The same technique as the above but I've read that people underexpose the ambient setting in manual and use multiple speedlights that bascially overpower the daylight to create a more dramatic effect. Question, could this not be achieved by say setting -/+ compensation on the exposure and flash exposure?

Couple of articles below that I was reading:-

http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2008/04/on-assignment-controlling-daylight-pt-1.html

http://layersmagazine.com/digital-camera-daylight-fill-in-flash.html

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank You

Andrea Crema's gear list:Andrea Crema's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +8 more
ANSWER:
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow