Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
lancet
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Re: You're being silly Big GA...
In reply to Big Ga, Mar 22, 2013

Big Ga wrote:

I don't think anyone is trying to imply that CDAF has no accuracy problems

Then I'm afraid you're wrong. People are often saying that here.

There have been a number of threads where inaccuracies have been observed, yet the mantra gets pumped out that "its impossible to get focus errors with CDAF ... its inherent in the technology"

Which might be close to the truth in theory, but doesn't always pan out given the current implementation and algorithms. The spewing of the mantra annoys me because its not conducive to finding out what works and what doesn't.

For me, shooting portraits is clearly better with CDAF. If I focus on a person's eyes, the focus locks on their eyes, not half way between their eyes and their ears.

Yes but you shoot with Olympus DSLRs. Other cameras let you focus on the eyes and the focus locks on the eyes ...

I don't own a m4/3 system so put it just to my speculation and please correct me if I'm wrong.

There is a point that some lens designs demonstrate "focus breathing" - changing of focus plane when stopped down. Especially some fast primes exhibit it, like, for example, Canon 50 1.2 which is notorious for it. Since a DSLR camera focuses wide open, it can't be corrected for the shift that happens after stopping down for the shot.

If CDAF works also only with fully open aperture, then such situation would also be possible?

-- hide signature --

The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision. - Helen Keller

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow