Mirrorless Recommendation ( Sony Vs Olympus? )

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Louno
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Mirrorless Recommendation ( Sony Vs Olympus? )
Mar 22, 2013

Hi, I want to buy a new camera but having a hard time choose the right model. Currently, I am thinking about the upcoming Sony Nex-3n or the Olympus Pen E-PM2 .... Obviously you can tell by my initial choice of camera that I like small cameras but, I am open to other model suggestions.
The camera will replace the Nikon P300 and it will be used for everything and anything, including video, but most often for hand-held food photography, for a blog ( with big images being posted ).
I know that for food photography lighting is key, but this has been covered already. The main issue with the P300 is that when zoomed in more (to eliminate distortion and have smaller field of view) the aperture rises up and it requires more light or longer shutter speed. Also, it has a really wide depth of field so the backgrounds are a LITTLE out of focus but not blurred enough to eliminate the distraction. I want really sharp focus area with nice blurring of the background when desired.
Ideally if the camera that is bought would be good enough out of the box with it`s kit lens that would be nice and I could acquire a better lens specifically for food photography after a while ( any suggestions? ) but I am also prepared to buy a lens right away if necessary, if no camera has a kit lens that would be good enough... It seems like I wont have a choice?
I like the sony look and feel, and I like the focus peaking feature, larger sensor doesnt mean better image quality, but it should help with easier bokeh and better low light performance. On the other hand olympus might be a bit cheaper, and it has in body image stabilization, a wider lens selection ( although i dont think I will ever need tons of lense, i am not a pro photographer, I expect that over time I might acquire 1-3 lens max ) the lens are also generally cheaper and smaller too.

Louno's gear list:Louno's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Nikon Coolpix P300 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-3N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow