Wish Nikon gives us 2x crop on a D800/D800E/D600/D4 via a firmware upgrade

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,116
Like?
Re: Wish Nikon gives us 2x crop on a D800/D800E/D600/D4 via a firmware upgrade
In reply to shaunly, Mar 22, 2013

shaunly wrote:

What would be the advantage to your 2x crop vs. just cropping as desired in post processing?

-- hide signature --

Same as with the 1.2x and 1.5x crops - metering only for the cropped area (with hopefully better metering for that area), the autofocus points being all inside the cropped area in the auto mode, etc.

You can set focus points to 21 or 9. You could also use center weighted if you really want to limit the metering area.

Each to their own, I guess, but I've never found it advantageous to set one of my cameras into a crop mode. I'd rather have the option of full screen or crop in post rather than limit myself onto to the crop area. Plus, you always get better results if you don't need to use the crop. A 2.0 crop would be throwing away a ton of DR, noise performance and resolution.

The one reason I understand an advantage of a crop mode is if the camera goes to higher fps when in crop mode (as the D800 does at 1.3x) or the D7100 does in it's 1.3x). But, you didn't cite that reason and I don't think that's going to help anything in the D800 when going to 2x as the mirror probably doesn't go any faster.

-- hide signature --

In camera crop doesn't "throw away" anything. It's the same thing if you were to crop an image yourself in PP. I think you need to get a better understanding on this. The DR and ISO stays the same. Think about it this way, the camera is cropping the sensor output NOT the disabling the outter sensor border. So it's still using the full potential of the sensor.

The advantage for in camera crop is smaller file size (RAW and Jpeg) and convenience. It always nicer to have options.

Uhhh, you do lose DR and high ISO performance when you crop (whether it's done in-camera or in post processing). Why do you think FX has more DR and high ISO performance than DX? DX is just a crop of FX. When you blow up the image more (because you cropped it and then must magnify the remaining pixels more), you magnify the noise. Further, when you have fewer pixels in the output, the noise contribution of each pixel is more visible in the final output. And, one factor in DR is the noise floor so you lose noise performance and DR when you crop. This is math and physics at work.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow