Canson Baryta vs. Etching Rag vs. Epson Premium Luster

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,304
Like?
Re: Canson Baryta vs. Etching Rag vs. Epson Premium Luster
In reply to Howard Moftich, Mar 22, 2013

Howard Moftich wrote:

Have you compared Rag Photographique vs. Platine? If so, thoughts?

The Canson Platine is more comparable with other cotton rag barytas, such as Museo Silver Rag, Hahnemühle Photo Rag Pearl, and Hahnemühle Photo Rag Satin, than with pulp based papers like Baryta Photographique and Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.

The rag based papers tend to be glossier and more textured than the pulp based papers; but I haven't had a good look at the Hahnemühle Satin.

They are generally more expensive, but the fact they are cotton is a selling point with some customers. It is difficult to describe the differences, because they are subtle, but not as subtle as the differences between Baryta Photographique and GFS, which appear to have the same barium sulphate layer (maybe applied by the same company) and the slight surface differences seem to be from the different underlying paper bases.

I went to Platine when there were production problems with Silver Rag, and I haven't regretted it. But I do regret not stocking a US made paper anymore. Silver Rag prices really dropped after their problems, and I may consider it again when I need to restock. They claim the production problem are gone, and to have admitted they had a problem is a good sign.

You really need to get samples and try them for yourself. I know, yet another couple of sample packs, most of which won't get used, but it is really the only way.

Note: Hahnemühle do two different fine art sample packs: one glossy and canvas, the other matte.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow