which NIKON support "FULL MANUAL" (shutter/aperture/iso) override in VIDEO?

Started Mar 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
tedandtricia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
Re: which NIKON support "FULL MANUAL" (shutter/aperture/iso) override in VIDEO?
In reply to 007peter, Mar 22, 2013

Peter,

I'm also trying to develop some video skills.

You may want to look to Panasonic or Sony for useable autofocus in video. Face detect AF on my GF3 and LX7 work great. GF3 does not have full manual control but LX7 is cheap right now and has full manual PASM controls and also offers top resolution and other good specs, 1080p 60 fps etc and is generally quite good for video.

In m4/3, only GH series offers full manual. On a DSLR, I imagine Sony is similar.

For serious DSLR video, you have to do MF apparently. If the lens is in manual focus mode, and has an aperture ring like lots of the old AIS Nikkor lenses, and if you're running on auto ISO, then presumably you could change aperture during video and the cam would compensate with auto ISO for the exposure. So it appears you effectively have full manual control with Nikon as long as you're not trying to use autofocus. The serious video folks get their aperture rings declicked for smoother aperture changes.

tedandtricia's gear list:tedandtricia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow