Looking for a "cheap" MD/MC macro lens.

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
JoeyCF3
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
Re: Looking for a "cheap" MD/MC macro lens.
In reply to Letsgokoulos, Mar 22, 2013

Letsgokoulos wrote:

JoeyCF3 wrote:

Letsgokoulos wrote:

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

I just purchased a Minolta Celtic 50mm Macro f/3.5 with 14mm, 21mm, and 28mm extension tubes. Total cost was $106 shipped. I'm hoping that this is a good starter setup and that it'll keep me busy for a while.

Congratulations on your new lens ! So we should soon see some of your pictures, then...

I advise you to also find some flash or continuous light solution. As you will see, the DoF becomes so shallow that you need to close the aperture down to gain some, and the only possible compensation is adding light to raise the shutter speed.
The extension tubes also loose light, as you will find out soon.

Good luck with your new gear.

Marc

Thank you for reading the update in my thread! Lots of people posting still think that I need to buy a lens.

I'll be posting some pictures in a couple of weeks when the lens arrives for sure.

What are some continuous light solutions for the NEX? Would just simple table lamps do?

Thanks Marc!

Simple (but powerful) lamps could do, but of course this means you need to be close to an electrical socket and your subject must not be of the moving type...

If you need mobility, one of the Sony flashes can do. I use the HVL-F20S for my Nex-3 or my Nex-5N, and am very satisfied with it. I have tried one of the LED light rings that can be found on the bay, but find it rather weak. A ring flash might be the best solution, but powerful ones may be expensive.

Marc

Hmm I get it now.

But if I'm taking photos in broad daylight, do I still need a ring flash or other lighting solution? Or would this be strictly for inherently darker situations?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow