Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 559
Like?
Re: iPad mini as RAW backup
In reply to Prophecies, Mar 22, 2013

Prophecies wrote:

uniball wrote:

I've been doing this for 3+ years on trips that range from 3 to 4 months.

As others have pointed out, there's no compression of the images using the cck.

The only suggestion I would add is forget about uploading to DB. Its more a hassle than anything else. DB speeds can get quite slow at times, wifi may be spotty, if even available. At a practical level I found it did not work for me in Europe. This year I will be doing Thailand and Panang. Based on my last trip there good wifi speeds are not readily available. At our son's home in Europe there's a 100mb fibre line and uploading to DB was painful even on that.

One thing everyone seems to have overlooked is there are always computers readily available. I have never had an issue borrowing a computer for 5 minutes to offload iPad images to cards. Hotels typically have them in their lobbies, people one meets along the way, computer stores, hot spots, to name a few. On a Win box, Windows Explorer, on a Mac, Image Capture. If you're anal about backup's, use two cards and mail one back home.

For me your approach has worked well. I've gone from a 64 gb iPad 1 to a 32 gb iPad 3 and now a 64 gb iPad mini for this year's trip. I have found leaving 10 gb free on the iPad is all I need. Leaves plenty of space for other content and offloading has always been available.

I've been extremely satisfied with this approach. I shoot Fuji X-Trans in r+j as Apple does not support X-Trans raw. Just make sure your nef jpeg previews can display in the iPad and you can shoot raw only.

Thank you all for your insightful advice, I really appreciate it! I was considering the Hyperdrive, but was a little iffy by how expensive it is. That is, until I saw that Dbliftboy linked this:
http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/wireless-plus/

I am very interested in seeing how this will perform. I don't think I'd mind not having a screen, I just need storage, while sending them to my iPad for viewing.

The only problem I can see with this is lack of dedicated SD card slot, getting photos from my camera, to the drive.

About a year ago I looked into just about all of the wifi enabled approaches. My recollection is most, if not all, had issues with raw files going from the iPad to the device. Otherwise they made sense. Something to focus on.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow