Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Roland111
Regular MemberPosts: 408Gear list
Like?
Re: Aluminium versus carbon fibre
In reply to Anders W, Mar 22, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Roland111 wrote:

It's obvious without that 5 sections is not as stable as 4 and that's there is a reason, why these are manufactured in 2 versions.

Why is that obvious? The joints between the segments are very tight when locked with no play at all. And the relative thinness of the final segment can be compensated for by using thicker material. Note that the two versions have the same weight.

I don't know if there may be some other good reason to manufacture the same in 4 and 5 section versions? When 5 section unit is lighter and smaller, why to imlement the same in bigger size?

I'm afraid that material thickness alone isn't enough, but important is a correct combination of outer-inner surface rigidity and vibration damping capability. Else they could be manufacture 10 sections units already

My statement was theoretical, that usage of homogeneus material is normally stronger then any joint, where different materials have different physical characteristics (friction, temperature and finally ageing). According to this, ideal tripod leg should have have built in one section. And when to go to compromise, then less sections should be stronger.

But these are just my thoughts, which helpded me to make decision to have best chances to capture a moment. In real life there are very many different factors, which may decrease the sharpness even with best tripod.

Roland111's gear list:Roland111's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow