Buying the OM-D, need help with lenses!

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Questions thread
pannumon
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?
Re: Buying the OM-D, need help with lenses!
In reply to n8gray, Mar 22, 2013

n8gray wrote:

I'm going to buy the OM-D to take advantage of the deal they're running right now, but I'm having trouble picking a set of lenses. First there's the primes. I'm definitely getting the 60mm f/2.8 macro since I love that stuff. I'd also like a fast/compact normal prime but amazingly enough Olympus doesn't make any M.Zuikos between 17mm and 45mm. So I'm thinking of the Panny 20mm f/1.7. Should I also consider the Sigma 19mm f/2.8?

Apart from primes I'd like to have a normal zoom, but the kit lens sounds like a bit of a turkey, optically speaking, and it's also not very compact. Is it crazy to consider replacing it with the original GH-1 kit lens (Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH/MEGA O.I.S.)? It seems to have good reviews and doesn't cost crazy money. It's not weather sealed but I can't say I care too much.

Thanks for the advice!

-- hide signature --

Think globally, act loco.

Based on what I have read, you should definitely consider the Sigma 19mm f/2.8. If you want to save money, buy it (and the Sigma 30mm). If you can spend more, go for the Panasonic 20mm or 25mm directly.

The Oly 12-50mm is a very interesting lens. It has power zoom (and manual zoom), macro, focus lock, a 12mm wideangle, internal zoom and focus and it is weather sealed. If you shoot video, you will value those features. I think you should at least try it as I'm sure you will get your money back if you want to get rid of it. On the other hand, it's a good choice for a 'backup' lens when you are not exactly sure what you want to shoot (EM5 + prime(s) + 12-50mm).

I would not even buy the 60mm macro in the beginning, unless you get a good deal for it with the EM5. The 12-50mm macro works at 43mm and the minimum focusing distance is about 20cm (7.9 inches). This is fairly OK, although obviously the 60mm can do better.

In the end optical quality is the thing that matters, but it is very subjective to say what is enough.

P.S. The Lumix 14-45mm was the kit lens of the G1. The GH1 was only sold with the Lumix 14-140mm lens.

pannumon's gear list:pannumon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow