Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,875
Like?
Re: FF should be taken seriously
In reply to ultimitsu, Mar 22, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

APS-C sensors in dslr bodies would, eventually, go the way of the dodo and that the market would eventually split into FF and mirrorless designs. I still think I was right, although Sony kept APS-C in their mirrorless.

You are not right. it has been 5 years and the big two still own 80% of the market, and majority of their product is still APS-C SLR.

I did say"eventually" and I strongly suspect that the proportion of their cameras that are ff models is increasing.

Canon seem to be putting less and less effort into their APS-C sensor and body development.

Canon is putting a lot of effort into them but it is just not getting very far with sensors. It is not like APs-C sensor uses different technology as FF, sensor tech is sensor tech, they are lagging being in APS-C as well as FF, and if they had a M43 division it would be behind competition just the same.

Incidentally, re the previous post that claimed a FF was 4X better than an mft sensor, it isn't. Any theoretical advantage due to sensor size should be measured by the length differential, not the area. In theory, this gives about a 2x advantage. You will have difficulty in seeing this however, 2x it may be but its a logarithmic increase so the actual gains in what you see are smaller.

I am sorry but this passage is both baseless and senseless. Performance advantage is gained by area, and increase is linear. DXO indicate that the maximum iso that one can maintain SNR of 30dB, DR of 9 EVs and a color depth of 18bits is only 618 on G5, 826 on OM-D, on the FF side of the battle we have D800 with 2853 and D3s with 3253.

Try thinking of it this way. If you try to define a point on a matrix (which is what we do re acutance) if we double the sides, we get 4X the area, but we still have only doubled the available measurement used to locate a point on either of the axis.

If you look at a print made with ff v (say) mft, (all other factors such as lens choice and iso being equal) you will see better sharpness dr and color gamut for the ff, but is it 4x better?

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow